- BIRD Engineering has conducted numerous projects in the
- field of Industrial Microbiology since 1989, ranging from
- bioremediation, production of bio-based chemicals,
- bio-fuels, food and pharmaceutical products. BIRD
- supported its customers with extensive knowledge in
- process (fermentation) and strain development.
- For confidentiality reasons, most projects are
not mentioned here
Bio-FDCA, a renewable building block for resins and plastics
2,5-Furandicarboxylic acid (FDCA, FDA) is a promising biobased replacement for (oil-derived) phthalates in the manufacture of resins and polymers such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET). To the general public, PET is widely known as the material used to manufacture soft drink bottles and fleece sweaters. BIRD Engineering is working on an integrated biocatalytic process to produce FDCA from renewable, bio-based substrates for the production of sustainable resins and polymers.
The biocatalytic FDCA process is based on a whole-cell biocatalyst developed in 2008 in the B-Basic programme, a Dutch public-private partnership focusing on new bio-based production concepts for the chemical and energy industry (http://www.b-basic.nl/index.html). BIRD Engineering has applied for international patents to protect the improvements made to the whole-cell biocatalyst and the biotransformation process. Further development of the FDCA process is currently taking place in the framework of the public-private partnership BE-Basic (NL; http://www.be-basic.org), in the EU-KP7 programme BioConSepT (http://www.bioconsept.eu), as well as with various private partners from Europe and the US.
- Wierckx N, Koopman F, Ruijssenaars HJ, de Winde JH. Microbial degradation offuranic compounds: biochemistry, genetics, and impact. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011 Dec;92(6):1095-105.
- Wierckx N, Koopman F, Bandounas L, de Winde JH, Ruijssenaars HJ. Isolation and characterization of Cupriavidus basilensis HMF14 for biological removal of inhibitors from lignocellulosic hydrolysate. Microb Biotechnol. 2010 May;3(3):336-43.
- Koopman F, Wierckx N, de Winde JH, Ruijssenaars HJ. Efficient whole-cell biotransformation of 5-(hydroxymethyl)furfural into FDCA, 2,5-furandicarboxylic acid. Bioresource Technol. 2010 Aug;101(16):6291-6.
- Koopman F, Wierckx N, de Winde JH, Ruijssenaars HJ. Identification and characterization of the furfural and 5-(hydroxymethyl)furfural degradation pathways of Cupriavidus basilensis HMF14. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 16;107(11):4919-24.
- Ruijssenaars HJ, Wierckx NJP, Koopman FW, Straathof AJJ, de Winde JH. Polypeptides having oxidoreductases and their uses. International patent application WO2011026913
- Koopman FW, Ruijssenaars HJ, Wierckx NJP, de Winde JH. Novel microorganism and its use in lignocellulose detoxification. US patent application 2011086395